Wednesday, November 17, 2010

new times and a promise of new things to come:

Hello vacuum:

I've gotten hitched, bought a house, hope to start a veggie garden, a medicinal herb garden, some chickens and most importantly, find a dog soon. I've read massive amounts of delicious books; off the cuff, highlights are as follows (all of which have been marinating in their own posts but can't wait any longer, they should be able to stand on their own merit and amazing cover art) :



"Farewell Navigator" Leni Zumas, Ashevillian. A collection of short stories; awesomely powerful, successfully angst ridden  AND she used the word "subaltern" in a short story. I loved every minute of it.



The Mockingjay Series by Suzanne Collins: Could not recommend it more, however approach with caution. If you are already prone to thinking the world has gone to shit, children are mere sacrifices to the cogs and wheels of society then you probably already get it and can pass. The New Yorker wrote an excellent article about the evolution of dystopic novels in the young adult genre. I will not try to to sum it up, so get thee to the New Yorker. I had a great conversation with some friends about whether or not there is such a thing as a Utopian novel. I'm not convinced after all and think it would be a great thesis topic.



"Year of the Flood" Margaret Attwood : 2nd in the MadAddam trilogy. Well worth it and terrifyingly realistic in its depiction of the consequences to our scientific hubris. Not a good companion read with the former series. Just take my word for it. Amazing nonetheless and has haunted me all summer. Is it fall already?!



"Room" Emma Donoghue: Beauty. You must read it. It should have won the Booker. My favorite aspect of this novel (without completely giving it away, because this is the one you shall read, dear vacuum), is the isolation of mother and child. What is clearly a horrifying captivity becomes analogous to the protective, very loving isolation mother and child share for the first few years.  A child is bound to mother for at least (in our culture) the first five years of life; thus creating a room (read: space) of safety apart from society; isolated for a time, only to be catapulted in to the world. The outcome is as can be excepted and is exceptionally beautiful. And heart wrenching. The realm of freedom and captivity are so effectively turned on it's side in this book, I may never be the same person after having read it.

A book I have come to love with my whole heart and soul and yet cannot quite articulate why is "Beasts" by John Crowley.



Also "White Pines" by Mary Oliver but that is because I love nature and poetry.

 Many more have been read. Good ones, which deserve a mention and a kind thought. Some other night.

A final word of warning (and within which I acknowledge my heresy): "The Watchmen" is, in my modest opinion a big pile of rubbish.

Until next time fair vacuum, watch for the Leonids and Pan be with you,

No comments: